MCFA
Go Home

S.N.A.P.
Spay Neuter Assistance for Pets:

SNAP completed 1159 s/n surgeries in 2014 – 16% more than budgeted. Your help in publicizing voucher issue sessions has been instrumental in this success. Many thanks and Happy New Year.

Spay/Neuter Assistance for Pets, Inc (SNAP) plans to issue more than 120 free spay/neuter vouchers to low income Monroe County Residents in Sweetwater on Saturday, January 10 from 10 to 11am. Vouchers will be available at the Sweetwater City Hall located at 203 Monroe Street in Sweetwater. Any qualified low income resident of Monroe County can obtain free spay/neuter vouchers at the voucher issue sessions. If someone cannot attend a SNAP voucher issue session, a friend or relative can pick up a voucher - proof of residence and information about pet owner & pet must be provided.

The next SNAP voucher issue sessions are scheduled on the following Saturdays:

  • Jan 10th 2015 at Sweetwater City Hall 10 – 11am
  • Feb 7th 2015 at Sweetwater City Hall 10 – 11am
  • Mar 7th 2015 at Sweetwater City Hall 10 – 11am
  • Apr 11th 2015 at Sweetwater City Hall 10 – 11am

About ¾ of 2015 spay/neuter sessions will be scheduled in Sweetwater because SNAP has a 2-year grant from PetSmart® Charities that will pay for 1000 spay/neuter surgeries in 2014 and 2015 for residents in Zip Code 37874. SNAP did quite well in 2014. In Sweetwater, SNAP “fixed” 502 of 500 planned s/n surgeries. SNAP “fixed” 657 pets from the other Monroe County towns this year.

The SNAP program attacks the root cause of the animal overpopulation problem in Monroe County by reducing the number of unwanted dog & cat litters. We are anxious to see the 2014 year end results at the Shelter. The Monroe County Animal Shelter intake was reduced about 23% for the first 6 months of 2014 compared to the prior year. In addition, the shelter euthanasia was reduced 55% for the same period. The goal of reducing the intake at the County Animal Shelter until there is no euthanasia of healthy pets is getting closer.

SNAP must obtain funds to pay for the s/n surgeries. About 80% of funding is provided by grants to SNAP from several foundations. The other 20% is provided by Monroe County Friends of Animals, pet owner donations and public donations.

Funding to pay for the vouchers issued in the next few months will be provided by grants from PetSmart® Charities, Aslan Foundation, East Tennessee Foundation (Harry W & Carolyn W Galbraith Fund), Bissell Pet Foundation, Wal-Mart Foundation, Humane Society of United States’ Lowell Fund, Monroe County Friends of Animals, Radio Systems Corporation/PetSafe, American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and TN Dept of Health-animal friendly license plate program.

For more info, go to SNAP Web Site: http://www.orgsites.com/tn/spay-neuter-monroe-county/

Thank you,
Mike Cleverdon
SNAP President
423-884-6801

(Click on files to print & distribute}
MCFA     MCFA

MCFA

Tax deductable donations can be mailed to
SNAP
190 Blue Jay Avenue, Vonore, TN  37885

Pawprints  

Monroe County Friends of Animals | P.O. Box 106 | Vonore, TN 37885
(423) 442-1015

MCFA
Go Home